Thursday, May 13, 2010

Interesting times


I don't do much politics here, preferring to deal with technological change, and especially as it applies to media and amateur radio. But I received the following link from my friend Dennis Dease N4NR:



It sort of got me going. First, let me say again, I was absolutely thrilled when America finally reached the 21st century and elected a black man as president. This was a far-too-long delayed milestone. I only wish it had not been this particular black man. It should not surprise anyone that the most liberal senator is now our most liberal president in decades. And with a Congress now controlled by the most liberal leadership in my lifetime, it should come as no surprise that we are seeing more and more proposals that shock my Libertarian soul to its core. See, I think less government is best government. It is not the role of government--and especially a federally centered government--to make sure everyone is shielded from any bad stuff from cradle to grave, regardless their own choices in life. I'm not radical about it. I think collectively as a nation we should have systems in place to take care of those who, through no fault of their own, need asssitance.


But look at "The War on Poverty." How many billions of our taxpayer dollars have been thrown down that rat hole and more people are living in poverty than ever? Look at government education. Despite billions of our taxpayer dollars and an astoundingly massive bureaucracy, test scores continue to go down.


Now they want to re-work our individually controlled retirement savings accounts so they can "take care of us," and, by the way, do it with OUR money. I've always been amazed that the government created and allows us to "get away with" anything that makes as much sense as IRAs and 401Ks. I bet the way they go about this will be that they will dredge up some poor souls who lost everything in their 401Ks during the big downturn and are now surviving on dog food and Cheetos. Never mind those pitiful so-and-sos got greedy and put all their IRA money into stock in Fly-by-night Platinum Mining Company in East Timor.

"See, this kind of individual-funded retirement account does not work," they'll say. "People who don't know what they are doing are losing their nest eggs. Poor things! We--the kind and benevolent government--will now take charge of these accounts and assure old folks are taken care of, with no risk or danger whatsover."

And I'm sure the government will do just as swell a job with my IRA and 401K as they have done with Social Security, AMTRAK, and the U.S. Post Office.

3 comments:

Steve GW7AAV said...

Nice to see that things your side of the pond are almost as much of a mess from the purveyors of the nanny state as those in the UK. How can we possibly trust government to know what is best for us when they drag us deeper and deeper in to debt every day and those who don't get caught with their hands in the pot are too busy zipping their flies up and down.

recumbent conspiracy theorist said...

I generally don't like to talk politics online but can't resist. I served my country for four years and after that I have run a successful small business providing jobs for ten employees.

It just sickens me to see the way the progressives are sparing no expense to dismantle the set of ideals that America's founders devised and shed lots of blood for. Our system has built in forward error correction that while not perfect has worked pretty well for a couple hundred years now. I see no reason to change anything.

I'm only 39 years old and I don't even have a college education. But I got common sense- something that seems in short supply among my generation these days.

On a positive note business has been up these past couple of months so manufacturing is experiencing an upswing.

73 Mike KD8JHJ

Don Keith N4KC said...

Thanks for the comments, fellows. Thomas Jefferson spoke volumes when he said, "Any government big enough to give you everything you need is big enough to take away everything you have."