Sunday, March 15, 2009

Social network overload...


Am I the only one who is starting to get a bit bleary-eyed at all the various social networking sites out there? I joined Plaxo and LinkedIn and several more of those business-oriented sites...ending up with accounts at some I never remembered joining and more than two accounts at others. When I get invites, I have to double check to see which account I got invited through or then I have a heck of a time getting the invite accepted. I'm always afraid I'll hurt somebody's feelings if I don't accept, even if I'm not real sure who the person is.

I finally gave in and put up a page on MySpace a couple of years ago, then promptly forgot about it. Frankly, I mostly wanted it there so search engine crawlers would find it and add me to search results. Then everybody told me MySpace was so "Windows 95" and I simply had to create a Facebook profile. A couple of weeks ago, I did that, and have actually had a few folks find me and request everlasting friendship. I have tried to oblige. How devastating is it if I deny someone?

Then, just this week, not just one but several people told me Facebook is over, over, OVER! Gee, it appears that if I join up with one of these sites, I am the kiss of death. A thriving online social network simply cannot stand the Don Keith mojo!

You MUST create a Twitter account, people inform me. So today, I go to Twitter, which seems to be based entirely on "What are you doing right now?" Not seems to be. That is exactly what they say their whole reason for being is: so people can tell other people what they are doing at that moment. Well, first, I am not going to be interested in divulging that information too often. In the spirit of honesty, my first entry was, "Joining yet another social networking website..."

OK, let's see if this one brings me hours of pleasant interaction with other "Twitterers." My user name is don_keith, since some claim-jumper named Don Keith obviously got the word about Twitter before I did. Drop by if you like. Surprise me. I can't see for the life of me the attraction of these kinds of things. Maybe I'm too old and curmudgeonly. Or maybe I just have not entered into these things in the proper spirit.

Of course, it remains to be seen if I even remember my password a few weeks from now.

Don Keith N4KC
http://www.donkeith.com/
http://www.n4kc.com/
www.twitter.com/don_keith
http://www.n4kc.blogspot.com/

(Lord help me!)
.
.
.

2 comments:

goody said...

You're not the only one in overload. :-) The only one I use is LinkedIn as it has some business value. Facebook and MySpace seem to be mainly for people who refer to their friends as "peeps". Twitter? It seems like IM and email combined with a low signal-to-noise ratio.

I probably sound old and curmudgeonly, too...though I am turning 40 this year so maybe I'm getting a jump on turning into an OF :-)

Anonymous said...

Well, I entered "OF-dom" a long time ago...

Don N4KC